NumCosmo: Numerical Cosmology

Discussion topics for individual codes
Ada Coda
ASCL Robot

Post by Ada Coda » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:31 pm

Abstract: NumCosmo is a free software C library whose main purposes are to test cosmological models using observational data and to provide a set of tools to perform cosmological calculations. The software implements three different probes: cosmic microwave background (CMB), supernovae type Ia (SNeIa) and large scale structure (LSS) information, such as baryonic acoustic oscillations (BAO) and galaxy cluster abundance. The code supports a joint analysis of these data and the parameter space can include cosmological and phenomenological parameters. NumCosmo matter power spectrum and CMB codes were written independent of other implementations such as CMBFAST (ascl:9909.004), CAMB (ascl:1102.026), etc.

The library structure simplifies the inclusion of non-standard cosmological models. Besides the functions related to cosmological quantities, this library also implements mathematical and statistical tools. The former were developed to enable the inclusion of other probes and/or theoretical models and to optimize the codes. The statistical framework comprises algorithms which define likelihood functions, minimization, Monte Carlo, Fisher Matrix and profile likelihood methods.

Credit: Dias Pinto Vitenti, Sandro; Penna-Lima, Mariana

Site: https://github.com/NumCosmo/NumCosmo
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2014JCAP...05..039P

Bibcode: 2014ascl.soft08013D

ID: ascl:1408.013
Last edited by Ada Coda on Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated code entry.

ladyofsteele

Re: NumCosmo: Numerical Cosmology

Post by ladyofsteele » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:34 pm

I am a self-taught software developer with a bachelor of science degree in Engineering Physics.

I find the NumCosmo project particularly inspiring, as I want to pursue my Ph.D. in Astrophysics in the next three years, and will be learning Python so I can contribute to research in the field.

Thank you for inspiring me today!