SMILE is interactive software for studying a variety of 2D and 3D models, including arbitrary potentials represented by a basis-set expansion, a spherical-harmonic expansion with coefficients being smooth functions of radius (splines), or a set of fixed point masses. Its main features include:
- orbit integration in various 2d and 3d potentials (including N-body and basis-set representations of an arbitrary potential);
- methods for analysis of orbital class, fundamental frequencies, regular or chaotic nature of an orbit, computation of Lyapunov exponents;
- Poincaré sections (in 2d) and frequency maps (in 3d) for analyzing orbital structure of potential;
- construction of self-consistent Schwarzschild models; and
- convenient visualization and integrated GUI environment, and a console scriptable version.
SMILE is portable to different platforms including MS Windows, Linux and Mac.